Who We Are
SCI’s Student Success staff help students identify and build new skills, develop their strengths, overcome challenges, and take advantage of opportunities to make their Pitt experience exceptional. The idea is to help you explore, discover and succeed!
To do that, we partner directly with students across SCI (from first-year students to doctoral students) to address individual needs and unique goals and aid students in building their support network and skills to become resilient self-advocates, utilizing a student-centered approach with an emphasis on academic achievement and student development. Specifically, we provide students with academic guidance, support and developmental instruction.
We also provide resources to faculty, staff, and parents who share their concerns for student success. We extend our partnership beyond SCI through key offices across the University to provide a support network for student academic and psycho-social wellness.
No matter where you are in your academic, professional or personal journey, Student Success empowers you to take your university experience to the next level. Student Success at SCI supports students to perform well academically; develop holistically; and successfully advance to careers, service and/or continuing education.
And the best part? You know you will never have to do it alone.
Student Success Learning Objectives
- To welcome and orient undergraduate and graduate students to the requirements and expectations of university life.
- To support students during their transition to the learning and teaching environment.
- To provide ongoing academic and social support for students on their academic journey from enrollment to graduation, leading student interventions, such as poor performance and academic probation.
- To coordinate leadership opportunities to students in a variety of peer tutoring, peer mentoring, and teaching assistant roles.
- To provide opportunities for students to engage as contributing members of their University community and to learn the academic and social skills necessary to succeed while at the University and in a diverse global society.
- Getting Started Checklist
- What you need to know to start Fall 2020 ready to succeed
- Get connected: Stay engaged
- Well-being: Mind, Body, and Spirit
- Supporting the Whole Student
- Engage, Lead, Succeed
- Financial Wellness, Aid and Funding Resources
- Emergency and Crisis Assistance
- If you are in an emergency situation where danger is imminent and immediate help is required, call 911 or the Pitt Police at 412-624-2121.
COVID-19 Information and Resources
- Pitt’s Coronavirus website: Every day, we learn more about COVID-19. Our experts are carefully monitoring—and in the case of our amazing researchers, creating—this new knowledge, and adjusting course in response.
- Flex@Pitt Instructional Model – Fall 2020
- Student Success with Flex@Pitt