Academic Advising Center
In SCI, you will be assigned to a full time, primary role academic advisor with whom you will work during your entire time as an undergraduate in our school. The relationship you build with your academic advisor will be integral to your intellectual, personal and professional growth. Academic advisors will help you to make informed educational choices regarding course selection as well as co-curricular and experiential education opportunities.
By working with an academic advisor, you will learn about:
- Why the classes for your major and gen eds are required
- How to develop a comprehensive, cohesive, educational plan, which includes planning ahead and choosing classes and activities to help you enjoy and make the most out of your education
- The purposes of higher education
- The missions and values of SCI and the University of Pittsburgh
- The concept of polymathy
- How you like, what you are good at, and what is important to you matters in the choices you make
All students at the University of Pittsburgh are required to meet with their academic advisors at least once per semester, but, in SCI, we encourage you to meet with us more often.
Fall Walk-in Advising Hours
For prospective SCI students who would like to talk with an advisor, please send an email to email@example.com to request a phone or video call. Please give us a brief explanation of your circumstances so that we can be prepared for the meeting. Look forward to speaking with you!
We envision academic advising as a relationship with shared responsibilities. Learn what you can expect.
General Education Requirements
Learn more about general education requirements for the School of Computing and Information.
All SCI Students are required to take placement assessments prior to the beginning of their first term at Pitt. These assessments are used to help you and your academic advisor understand your preparation for college-level courses.