Please submit all forms to the SCI Records Office (via online form submission or email@example.com).
SCI undergraduate students are responsible for submitting the following forms:
- Best Fit Form: used to redirect a course from one requirement to another if the course is on the “approved course list” for two different academic buckets.
- Transfer Credit Request Form: If interested in transferring in credits from another University, submit this form. Forms are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Undergraduate Graduation Application: Students should submit this survey to receive a link to the application for graduation. Forms are accepted during a specific timeframe; see our graduation application deadlines.
- Minor/Secondary Field of Study Declaration Form: for students currently enrolled in any school at the University who would like to add or remove an SCI minor to/from their academic record. Forms are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Undergraduate Academic Plan Change (Major Declaration) Form: intended for SCI students who would like to switch, add, or remove majors within SCI. Forms are accepted two weeks before the start of each term through the end of the add/drop period (see details in the University Catalog by navigating to the SCI-specific catalog, then to the Major Declaration section). This form is not the application for transfer to SCI. Please visit the office of your home school for more information on how to apply for transfer to or to apply for a second major in SCI.
- Next available window to submit this form: Monday, August 10 to Friday, September 4. Students who miss this window of time to submit the form will be asked to resubmit the form for the next term.
- Academic Program Change (Transfer Out/Double Degree) Form: If transferring to another School within the University or adding a second degree, submit this form. Forms are accepted during the admissions deadline period (see details in the University Catalog by navigating to the SCI-specific catalog, then to the Admissions Requirements and Deadlines section)
- Next available window to submit form: Monday, August 10 to Friday, September 4. Students who miss this window of time to submit the form will be asked to resubmit the form for the next term.
SCI Advisors are responsible for submitting the following forms. To initiate any of the following waiver requests, students should schedule an appointment with their advisor through the Navigate app.
- SCI Policy and Requirements Change Form
- SCI Policy Waiver for Undergraduates Form, includes:
- Full-time credit overload
- Course repeat policy
- SCI residency requirement
- General Education Requirement (GER) Exemption
- All undergraduate students should refer to the academic advisement report (degree progress report) to track their path to degree completion. Students should review the Academic Advising Report tutorials on the Registrar’s website.
SCI graduate students are responsible for submitting the following forms:
- Leave of Absence Form
- Transfer Credit Request Form
- Graduate Academic Plan (Degree/Specialization) Change Form
- Change of Graduate Advisor Form
- SCI Policy Waiver Request for Graduate Students: Graduate students must use this form to request a waiver for a School-level policy requiring Dean’s Office approval. In order to submit the form, additional materials may be required. Prepare the following items prior to filling out the form.
PhD Student Forms
- Committee Approval Form*: This must be completed prior to scheduling the proposal.
- Prepared by the student or department/program support staff, the committee approval form must be signed by the Department Chair and the Associate Dean for Academic Programs.
- If an active researcher with an appointment outside of the University is recommended as a member of the committee, the researcher’s CV must be attached to the Committee Approval form.
- Any changes in the membership or roles of the committee must be submitted through this same process and form.
- Defense Announcement Form: This must be completed at least four weeks prior to the scheduled defense.
- Student must prepare the Proposal/Dissertation Abstract Template prior to submitting the defense scheduling form. The proposal/dissertation abstract is a required attachment for the defense scheduling & announcements form.
- Student, Chair, or department/program support staff submits the defense announcements form. Submission of the online form triggers a notification to the department/program support staff, the Dean’s Office, and SCI staff responsible for publishing announcements related to doctoral defenses.
- Changes to the defense schedule must be submitted through this same process and form.
- Application for Admission to Candidacy*: This must be completed no later than the last day of the term in which the dissertation overview occurs.
- Students must complete Part I of the application for admission to candidacy form and submits it to their department/program support staff. Approvals from the committee, Chair, and Dean’s Office will be gathered and copies of the final signed form distributed to the appropriate offices.
- Report on Examinations for Doctoral or Master’s Degree*: This must be completed by the end of term in which a student milestone has been achieved.
- The department/program support staff submits a completed and signed Report on Examinations form (“milestone card”) to SCI Records via the Director of Academic Records.
- SCI Records will post milestone to students’ academic records at the close of each term.
- PhD Graduation Checklist: The PhD graduation checklist is found on the Graduation Procedures webpage. Items listed in the checklist are required of all doctoral students by the ETD deadline. Items may be submitted earlier but not later than the ETD deadline.
- The student submits all items to the Director of Academic Records (and/or via D-Scholarship).
- The ETD formatting is reviewed by staff after the ETD deadline and corrections are reported back to the student with expected turnaround dates.
- ETD approval and publication in D-Scholarship is communicated to the student and committee by the Director of Academic Records.
*Forms requiring signatures: We suggest using DocuSign to gather multiple signatures on any form that exists in PDF or Word doc format. Through DocuSign, you can upload a form, add text, and send it to various offices for signatures. Pitt staff have access to DocuSign, please reach out to your department admin or the SCI Records team for assistance.
Informatics and Networked Systems
- Recently admitted students should refer to the Academic Advisement Report (degree progress report) to track their path to degree completion
- MSIS and MST students admitted to the University prior to Fall 2020, should request an archived plan of study from their department.
- PhD in IS Plan of Study
- PhD in IS with a concentration in Telecommunications Checklist
Information Culture and Data Stewardship
- Students should refer to the Academic Advisement Report (degree progress report) to track their path to degree completion
- MLIS students admitted to the University prior to Fall 2020, should request an archived plan of study from their department.
- PhD in Library and Information Science Credit Tracker
Intelligent Systems Program
- ISP students should refer to the University Catalog for course requirements (Master’s students | PhD students)
For policies and guidelines related to Experiential Learning, visit this page.
- LIS (2921 or 2924) Field Experience Application
- Practicum Application
- Practicum Proposal
- Practicum Site Agreement
- Undergraduate Computer Science Internship Application
- Undergraduate Information Science Internship Application
- Undergraduate Information Science Employer Internship Agreement
- Undergraduate Information Science Internship Report
- Undergraduate Information Science Employer Internship Evaluation
For a listing of policies and procedures related to registration, visit this page.
- Appeal for Late Withdrawal Form
- Enrollment Worksheet
- Grade Option/Audit Request Form
- Graduation Enrollment Waiver Form
- Independent Study Proposal Form
- Monitored Withdrawal Form
- Withdrawal Acknowledgement Form
- PCHE Cross-Registration Request Form
- PCHE Cross-Registration Acknowledgement Form
- Permission Code Form