PLEASE NOTE: You will not receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. You will receive a notification from DocuSign after all parties—yourself, your advisor/department, and the Records office—have reviewed and signed your application. If there is a problem with your application, you will receive an email from the Records Office or your advisor/department.
Please do not submit multiple SCI applications. Duplicate applications in the system can cause issues with your graduation certification and may delay your degree conferral.
- First, students must confirm that all of your majors, minors, specializations, and/or certificates are officially declared. Applications that note majors, minors, areas of concentration and/or certificates are officially declared that are not declared will be denied.
- Tip: Visit the Self Service/Student Center or run the Academic Advisement Report in the student information system (access in my.pitt.edu) to see a list of your declared majors, minors, specializations, and/or certificates.
- Then, submit the Graduation Survey to receive a link to the graduation application.
- Your department (graduate students) or academic advisor (undergraduate students) will review your application and academic record for potential graduation roadblocks.
- Students are welcome, but not required, to schedule an appointment with their academic advisor before submitting their application for graduation.
- Deadlines and associated late fees for SCI students are listed below.
- Late applications will not be processed until all the late fee payment is received.
- Students enrolled in majors and/or certificates outside of SCI must follow the processes and deadlines defined by the School offering the major or the certificate. This means students completing a major or certificate in SCI and another School will be required to submit multiple graduation applications through separate campus offices.
Forms must be submitted no later than 12:00 pm EST
Failure to meet deadlines will result in your graduation being delayed to the next academic term. Acceptable late fee payments: Check or money order only, made out to the University of Pittsburgh. These must be delivered to the SCI Dean’s Office c/o Academic Records. Late fees are non-negotiable.
Spring – April 2022
Submission period begins January 5, 2022. If your graduation application is submitted by:
01/24/22: No late fee
01/24/22 at 12:01PM – 01/28/22 at Noon: $15 fee (Waived Spring 2022)
01/28/22 at 12:01PM - 02/28/22 at Noon: $25 fee (Waived Spring 2022)
02/28/22 at 12:01PM – 03/21/22 at Noon: $35 fee (Waived Spring 2022)
Applications submitted after 12:00 pm EST on 03/21/22 will be denied.
Summer - August 2022
5/2/22 - 5/24/22 at Noon: No late fee
5/24/22 at 12:01PM - 6/23/22 at Noon: $15 fee
6/23/22 at 12:01PM - 7/11/22 at Noon: $25 fee
7/11/22 at 12:01PM - 7/27/22 at Noon: $35 fee
Applications submitted after 12:00 pm EST on 7/27/22 will be denied.
Graduate students who are publishing an electronic thesis as a part of a degree requirement must also submit all materials outlined in the After You Defend section of the ETD website.
- Every item listed must be completed by the school’s ETD and Paperwork deadline or your graduation will be postponed to the following term.
- The ETD Approval Form contains a checklist for students to follow – only pages 1-2 of the ETD Approval Form need to be submitted; the checklist is for the use of the student only. This form should be sent for signatures via DocuSign, with a completed copy submitted to the ETD Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you do not have DocuSign access through the University, you may either create a free account or reach out to your department/program administrator for assistance.
- To pay the ETD processing fee:
Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Deadlines
For thesis and dissertation authors only. Submit all materials outlined in the After You Defend section of the ETD website by the following deadlines:
- Fall 2021 – December 10
- Spring 2021 - April 27
- Summer 2021 - August 3
- Spring 2022 – April 27
- Summer 2022 – August 4
Transcripts and diplomas are updated, ordered, and mailed through the University Registrar’s Office. Details regarding the official date of the degree awarded, when official transcripts will be available, and when diplomas will be mailed are available within the University Registrar’s graduation resources.
Graduation Calendar - provides a snapshot of the important dates mentioned above.
Graduation/Diplomas – provides contacts and details regarding graduation, diplomas, and requesting transcripts.