Please submit all forms to the SCI Records Office (via online form submission or email@example.com).
Undergraduate Student Forms
- Academic Plan (Major/Minor) Declaration Form
- This form is intended for:
- students currently enrolled in ANY school at the University who would like to add or remove an SCI minor to/from their academic record, or’
- current SCI students who would like to:
- switch, add, or remove majors within SCI
- DEADLINE FOR DECLARING A MAJOR: Fall term = January 15-March 1 | Spring term = August 15-October 1 | Summer term = November 15-January 1
- Students who miss the deadline to declare for the upcoming term will be able to declare for the following term, however, all are strongly encouraged to declare their major at the earliest possible point in their career or when entering the term in which they will earn 55 credits.
- transfer out of SCI and into another school within the University
- declare an additional major at another school within the University.
- switch, add, or remove majors within SCI
- This form is not the application for internal transfer to SCI. Please visit the office of your home school for more information on how to apply for internal transfer to or to apply for a second major in SCI.
- This form is intended for:
- Intended Major Declaration Form
- SCI Policy and Requirements Change e-Form
- This form is initiated by the student’s advisor. Students should request an advising appointment to discuss the implications of opting into a new set of policy and degree requirements.
- Undergraduate Graduation Application: Students should submit this survey to receive a link to the Application for Graduation. (Instructions and deadlines)
Graduate Student Forms
- Graduate Academic Plan (Degree/Specialization) Change Form
- Change of Graduate Advisor Form
- Graduate Graduation Application (Instructions and deadlines)
PhD Student Forms
- Committee Approval – This must be completed prior to scheduling the proposal.
- Prepared by the student or department/program support staff, the Committee Approval form must be signed by the Department Chair and the Associate Dean for Academic Programs.
- If an active researcher with an appointment outside of the University is recommended as a member of the committee, the researcher’s CV must be attached to the Committee Approval form.
- Any changes in the membership or roles of the committee must be submitted through this same process and form.
- Defense Announcements – This must be completed AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS PRIOR to the scheduled defense.
- Student must prepare the Proposal/Dissertation Abstract template prior to submitting the defense scheduling form. The proposal/dissertation abstract is a required attachment for the defense scheduling & announcements form.
- Student, Chair, or department/program support staff submits the defense announcements form. Submission of the online form triggers a notification to the department/program support staff, the Dean’s Office, and SCI staff responsible for publishing announcements related to doctoral defenses.
- Changes to the defense schedule must be submitted through this same process and form.
- Application for Admission to Candidacy – This must be completed no later than the last day of the term in which the dissertation overview occurs.
- Student completes Part I of the application for admission to candidacy form and submits it to their department/program support staff. Approvals from the committee, Chair, and Dean’s Office will be gathered and copies of the final signed form distributed to the appropriate offices.
- Report on Examinations for Doctoral or Master’s Degree – This must be completed by the end of term in which a student milestone has been achieved.
- The department/program support staff submits a completed and signed Report on Examinations form (“milestone card”) to SCI Records via the Director of Academic Records.
- SCI Records will post milestone to students’ academic records at the close of each term.
- PhD Graduation Checklist – The PhD graduation checklist is found on the Graduation Procedures webpage. Items listed in the checklist are required of all doctoral students by the ETD deadline. Items may be submitted earlier but not later than the ETD deadline.
- The student submits all items to the Director of Academic Records (and/or via D-Scholarship).
- The ETD formatting is reviewed by staff after the ETD deadline and corrections are reported back to the student with expected turnaround dates.
- ETD approval and publication in D-Scholarship is communicated to the student and committee by the Director of Academic Records.
For a listing of policies and procedures related to registration, visit this page.
- SCI Policy Waiver Request – submit to request a waiver to these policies:
- Full-time credit over load
- Course repeat policy
- SCI residency requirement
- Other School-level policies
- Appeal for Late Withdrawal Form
- Enrollment Worksheet
- Grade Option/Audit Request Form
- Graduation Enrollment Waiver Form
- Independent Study Proposal Form
- Monitored Withdrawal Form
- Withdrawal Acknowledgement Form
- PCHE Cross-Registration Request Form
- PCHE Cross-Registration Acknowledgement Form
- Permission Code Form
Undergraduate Degree Progress and Advising
- Academic Advising Report (degree progress report)
Degree Progress / Academic Advisement Report Update
- General Education Requirement (GER) Exemption forms are used when requesting a waiver for a requirement because you have filled that academic bucket by another means (study abroad, different but similar course, etc.) or redirecting a course from one requirement to another IF the course is on the “approved course list” for two different academic buckets.
- Your advisor must review and endorsement your request in order for it to pass to the next level of review. They will receive a notification when you submit the GER exemption form.
- These forms are specific to the set of GERs that were in place during the term you were admitted to the University. Choose the form appropriate for your Pitt admit term:
- SCI CS Majors admitted to Pitt prior to Fall 2018 (if enrolled in through Arts & Sciences, you must follow their policies and procedures)
- SCI IS Majors admitted to Pitt prior to Fall 2018
- SCI Students admitted to Pitt in Fall 2018 or later
- If you are requesting a course substitution for a class taken at another institution (meaning, this is not a Pitt class), you should instead complete the Transfer Credit Request Form.
Graduate Degree Progress
Informatics and Networked Systems
- MSIS: Big Data
- MSIS: Database and Web Systens
- MSIS: General
- MSIS: Geoinformatics
- MSIS: Human-Centered Computing
- MSIS: Information Security
- MSIS: Join Degree with GSPIA
- MSIS: Telecommunications and Distributed Systems
- MST: Plan of Study
- PhD in IS Plan of Study
- PhD in IS with a concentration in Telecommunications Checklist
Information Culture and Data Stewardship
- Archives and Information Science Pathway
- Library and Information Services Pathway
- Data Stewardship Pathway
- PhD in Library and Information Science Credit Tracker
Experiential Learning Forms
For policies and guidelines related to Experiential Learning, visit this page.
- LIS (2921 or 2924) Field Experience Application
- Practicum Application
- Practicum Proposal
- Practicum Site Agreement
- INFSCI 1085 Internship Application
- INFSCI 1085 Employer Internship Agreement
- INFSCI 1085 Internship Report
- INFSCI 1085 Employer Internship Evaluation
- Academic Integrity Violation Documentation form
- Defense Announcement form
- Prepare the Proposal/Dissertation Abstract template prior to filling out the defense announcement form; you will need a properly formatted abstract to submit the announcement form.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form
- Student Travel Award Application
- SCI Policy Waiver Request – submit to request a waiver for a School-level policy requiring Dean’s Office approval. In order to submit the form, additional materials may be required. Prepare the following items prior to filling out the form.