Here you will find important enrollment information, resources, and forms.


Important Vocabulary

Academic calendar

The resource for all deadlines, holidays, etc. as controlled by the Office of the Registrar. Click here to view the current academic calendar.

Enrollment appointment

The day and time when a student can begin enrolling. Once a student’s enrollment appointment begins, adding, dropping, or editing classes can be done until the end of the add/drop period. Students can view their enrollment appointment date and time by logging into the Pitt Portal Student Center. Note, new students do not have an enrollment appointment.

Open enrollment

Period when all students, continuing and new, may enroll in classes. Happens after all enrollment appointments have concluded. University open enrollment dates are available on the academic calendar.

Add/drop period

The typical add/drop period lasts for ten days after the open enrollment ends. Adding/dropping classes after this point requires additional forms and petitions.

Advisement Service Indicator (ADV)

Holds that will prevent students from adding, dropping or editing their class schedule until it is removed by the office which placed the hold. Students can view their advisement service indicator by logging into Pitt Portal Student Center.

Enrollment Requisites

Restrictions placed on enrollment for a class. Restrictions may include:

  • Pre-requisite (PREQ): A course or courses that must have been taken and passed in a previous term. In-progress courses will fulfill the prerequisite, however, students who do not receive a satisfactory grade in a pre-requisite class will be automatically removed from the higher level course after official grade rosters have been posted.
    • ​For example: If you are enrolled in INFSCI 2020 for the fall term, you can enroll in INFSCI 2160 for the spring term before grades are posted. Because INFSCI 2160 requires students to have earned a B+ or better in INFSCI 2020, you will be automatically removed from INFSCI 2160 if your grade for INFSCI 2020 posts lower than a B+.
  • Co-requisite (CREQ): A course that must be taken during the same term as the course for which you are trying to register or has been taken and passed in a prior term.
  • PROG: the school in which you are enrolled (USIS – undergraduate and PSIS – graduate)
  • PLAN: your degree program
  • SBPLAN: your specialization, track, or pathway
Permission Number/Code

A number used to override enrollment restrictions (enrollment requisites or class limit). This number is issued by the school or department offering the course.


See the Registrar’s “Steps to Enrolling” webpage.

Related enrollment details
  • In fall and spring terms, part-time enrollment (undergraduate students: less than 12 credits, graduate students: less than 9 credits) is calculated per credit. If you enroll full-time (undergraduate students: 12 credits or more, graduate students: 9 credits or more), you pay a flat rate. During the summer term, all students are billed per credit. Tuition rates and payment information.
  • Most student immigration visas require international students to be enrolled as a full-time student to remain in the U.S.
  • International students must enroll full-time in their first semester of study.
  • External, non-Pitt transfer credits must be approved by all faculty.


Removing a Hold

If you have an outstanding bill, never sent in your final transcript when you applied, etc., there may be a hold placed on your account that would prevent you from registering. Check the “holds” section of your Student Center, clicking on the links until you get to the hold details. If you have a hold and do not know who to contact in order to remove it, you may email the Records Team for more information.

Requesting a Permission Code

For all classes offered through SCI:
  1. Obtain approval if required (see “Types of Enrollment Restriction”).​
    • ​​NOTE: Neither the instructor nor your advisor are obligated to override the restrictions if it is not appropriate for you to enroll in the class.
  2. Login to the Permission Number Application System on the SCI courses website with your Pitt ID and password: and click “Create Request.”
    • ​​If a required item is missing, your request will be denied and you will need to submit another request for a permission code.
  3. No permission codes are issued to override a closed/full class.  If a class is full, you must enroll in the class waitlist. To see more information about how waitlists work, please visit the Registrar’s Enrollment website and/or review the Waitlist FAQ.
Type of Enrollment Restriction
The type of enrollment restriction determines what you must submit / attach to the form (screenshots, PDFs, etc. of emails are accepted as instructor and/or advisor approval).
  • ​​ENROLLMENT REQUISITES NOT MET but you’ve completed related work at another institution, in your professional career, etc.: Instructor approval is required.
    • ​​GRADUATE STUDENTS: If the instructor is listed as “TBD”, contact the Program Manager for approval. (LIS = Debbie Day, INFSCI and TELCOM = Kelly Shaffer, CS= Keena Walker)
    • UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: If the instructor is listed as “TBD”, contact the Department Advisors (INFSCI= Mary Koller, CS= John Ramirez or Pat Markham)
  • ENROLLMENT REQUISITES NOT MET because enrollment system (PeopleSoft) is not recognizing Pitt equivalent courses: Instructor or academic advisor approval is NOT required. Instead, submit an explanation of how you’ve met the enrollment requisites including as much detail as possible.  This is only for classes taken at Pitt that are directly equivalent courses that the enrollment system is not recognizing (ex: COE 0445 vs. CS 0445; INFSCI 1071 vs. TELCOM 2310).  Staff will review your request and may reach out to you for more information.
  • CAREER RESTRICTION (Undergraduate students enrolling in a graduate course OR Graduate students enrolling in an undergraduate course): Instructor’s AND academic advisor’s written approval required.
  • CLASS FULL / CLASS LIMIT: The School does not waive class limits – if a class is full students must enroll in the waitlist.  Permission codes will NOT be granted to override a waitlist.
Questions? ​

Student Services Office, 5th Floor IS Building
Email:​ (Graduate students) or (Undergraduate students)

For classes offered outside of our school:

(e.g. English Lit, Stats) you must contact the department offering the course. That department will issue its own permission codes. A full listing of Pitt departments is available here.​​

​​​​​​​For Pitt departments our students often deal with, here are some specific instructions:

  • ECE (Electrical & Computer Engineering) classes: Student e-mails the instructor with background.  If approval given by the instructor, have the student forwards the approval e-mail and their PeopleSoft ID to the Program Administrator​ (click here for contacts).
  • LAW classes: Email



Up through the drop/add deadline at the beginning of the semester (typically the first week of the semester for 12 week summer sessions, and the first two weeks of the semester for the fall and spring semesters), students can make adjustments to their schedules without penalty (i.e. these changes do not show up on students’ transcripts). During this time students follow the normal procedures for online registration (and should consult with their academic advisor if there is any doubt about which classes are appropriate).

Late Add/Drop

The Registrar will, in rare cases, accept late adds and drops but only under extenuating circumstances (ex. death in the family, car accident, serious illness) and these are granted or denied in Student Services.

Petition to ADD a class

  1. Student completes an enrollment worksheet, including all of their information on the form (name, class, PeopleSoft number).
  2. Student writes a brief letter explaining the extenuating circumstances behind why he/she was unable to add the class during the regular drop/add period. For example, if there was a hold on a student’s account, the student was sitting in on the class all along, and the hold was just lifted after the drop/add period was over, that would be acceptable. If the student just forgot to process the add until after the drop/add period, that would NOT be acceptable.
  3. Student submits all of these items to the Records Team
  4. If the petition is approved, the Records Team will process the late add including a waiver of the late fee, if appropriate. If the petition is not approved, then the student cannot process the late add.
  5. The Records Team will email the student when the petition is processed. If a late fee is owed, this is applied to the student’s bill.

Petitioning to DROP a class

  1. Student needs to complete an enrollment worksheet, including all of their information on the form (name, class, PeopleSoft number).
  2. Student writes a brief letter explaining the extenuating circumstances behind why he/she was unable to drop the class during the regular drop/add period. For example, if there was a hold on a student’s account and the hold was just lifted after the drop/add period was over, that would be acceptable. If the student just forgot to process the add until after the drop/add period, that would NOT be acceptable.
  3. Student submits the enrollment worksheet and the petition letter to the Records Team.
  4. If the petition is approved, the Records Team will process the late drop including a waiver of the late fee, if appropriate. If the petition is not approved, then the student cannot process the late drop (but the student may still be able to process a monitored withdrawal if this occurs before the deadline).
  5. The Records Team will email the student when the petition is processed. If a late fee is owed, this is applied to the student’s bill.

Remember that if you drop below full time status (12 credits for undergraduates, 9 credits for graduate students), you may jeopardize financial aid, student loans, health insurance, and/or your immigration status (if you are an international student).

Monitored Withdrawal

After the drop/add period and up until the monitored withdrawal deadline, a student can still drop courses, but at that point a “W” will show up on the student’s transcript (rather than a grade) for any course dropped.

  1. Complete a Monitored Withdrawal form and Withdrawal Acknowledgment Form.
  2. Return the completed forms to the Records Team.
  3. The Records Team obtains a dean’s signature and forwards the form to the Registrar’s Office for processing.
  4. A “W” grade will then be issued for the class on your transcript.
  5. After the official withdrawal deadline, you may withdraw from a course only in extraordinary circumstances and with the permission of the dean – you would need to write a letter explaining the circumstances behind your request and submit it to the Records Team.
Appeal for Late Withdrawal

After the monitored withdrawal deadline has passed, students may withdraw from individual classes only in extraordinary circumstances with permission of the dean by following this procedure.

  1. Student prints this Appeal for Late Withdrawal form.
  2. Student completes the upper half of the form (use your PeopleSoft number NOT your Social Security Number!) and writes a brief letter to accompany the form, explaining the extraordinary circumstances that warrant consideration of withdrawal beyond the deadline (i.e. students explain why they were unable to withdraw by the earlier monitored withdrawal deadline) for the course they wish to drop.
  3. Student brings the form to the instructor of the class they are trying to drop. The instructor indicates date of last attendance, grade earned to date, and then signs the form.
  4. Student submits the form to the Records Team. The Records Team will review the paperwork to make sure it is complete, obtain the necessary signatures, give a copy to the student, put a copy in the student’s file, and forward the original to the Registrar’s Office for processing.
Drop all classes for the term (Resignation)

If students wish to drop all of their classes and leave the semester entirely, they can do this, but how and whether or not students get any money back (and how much) depends on when they do it.

Before the end of the drop/add period:

Please use the online registration system to drop all of your classes.

If you drop all of your classes before the end of the drop/add period, the courses dropped do not show up on your transcript. You do receive money back, but the amount diminishes the later you wait, and at a certain point well into the term, you no longer get any money back. Please contact Student Financial Services for further details about prorated refunds.

After drop/add but no later than the 60th day of the term (or the monitored withdrawal deadline noted in the academic calendar if you are in a summer session):

You need to call the Office of Student Accounts official resignation phone number: 1-412-624-7585 to initiate the drop (called a “resignation” at this point).

After the 60th day of the semester through the deadline noted in the academic calendar:

At this point, dropping of all of your classes is considered a withdrawal. To process a withdrawal, you must do the following:

  1. Write a signed letter addressed to Student Services in the School of Information Sciences explaining a) why you need to withdraw from all of your classes for the term and b) why you were unable to resign from the term before the 60th day of the term.
  2. Submit the letter to the Records Team
  3. The Records Team will write a memo to request that your classes be dropped that goes:
    • to the Student Appeals Office, if the request is for a retroactive resignation, if the last date of classes attended was before the monitored withdrawal deadline
    • to the Registrar’s Office, if the last date of classes attended was after the monitored withdrawal deadline.

In all cases:

  1. Regardless of the date on which you complete your resignation, the courses will show up on your transcript with an “R” next to each of them (instead of a grade). You may receive money back, but the amount diminishes the later you wait. To find out exactly how much you would get back, please contact Student Financial Services.
  2. If you intend to return to your studies in a future term, please follow the leave of absence procedures for activating your account and email address to ensure that you will be able to use the online registration system to sign up for classes upon your return.
  3. Make sure you email your academic advisor to let them know (you can look up your advisor on

If you are an LIS student with a Partner’s placement, please notify Debbie Day and your placement supervisor as well.

If there were truly exceptional circumstances beyond your control (such as a death in the family, car accident, physical assault, etc.), Student Services will call the Student Appeals Office to investigate whether or not your case warrants getting some of your monies refunded for the term, but you will need to explain the exceptional circumstances in your letter and may be required to provide documentation.

The detailed University policies to this effect can be found here.

WISE Course Registration

WISE Policies and Procedures

Our Master’s students have the opportunity to select from a wide array of online courses, regardless of their location. Approval for all students taking WISE courses rests with their home school. Because there are a limited number of spaces available in WISE courses, SIS academic advisors must evaluate each student’s qualifications according to the following guidelines:

  • The student meets with his or her advisor to discuss the possibility of taking a WISE course.
  • The student agrees to the course parameters of the host institution, including course-management tools, grading, dates of term, and any required residencies.
  • The course is appropriate to the student’s plan of study.
  • The student has completed at least twelve credits in our school and is in good academic standing in their academic program​.
  • The student has access to the technology necessary for completion of course.
  • The student has technical knowledge to complete course successfully.
  • The student is fluent in English.
  • The student may take up to six (6) elective credits in the WISE Consortium.
  • Student may not substitute any WISE course for a core requirement.
Enrollment Processes

Enrolling in a WISE Course

You will be requesting approval from the WISE Consortium to take a specific course.

  1. You must request approval from your academic advisor to take a WISE course. Forward the approval email to Jeff Lawson when permission has been received from your academic advisor. He will email you with a WISE website username and password.
  2. To request approval from WISE:
    • Log-in to the WISE Web site using the username and password you received.
    • Select the semester you are interested in from the drop-down box.
    • Then click on the “View Classes” > “View Details” > “Request Enrollment in This Class!”
  3. You will be notified by WISE if you have been selected to enroll in a WISE course. The WISE coordinator will facilitate the enrollment process and give you updates via e-mail whenever there is a change in the status of your request.

Dropping WISE Courses

  1. Notify, the Records Team, and the course instructor.
WISE Course Enrollment and Your Pitt Student Account
  1. The Records Team will pull your enrollment status from the WISE administrative Web site before the last day of the University of Pittsburgh’s add/drop period. The placeholder course WISE 0001 will then be added to your Pitt course schedule in order to generate an accurate tuition bill.
  2. WISE 0001 will later be replaced on your Pitt schedule and transcript with a title that reflects the specific course title. For example, SUIST 0629 – 9010 ORGANIZATIONAL INFORMATION SECURITY = Syracuse University, Subject IST, Class No. 0629, Title Organizational Information Security.
  3. You may not add or drop a WISE course after the University of Pittsburgh’s add/drop deadline unless there are extenuating circumstances. In that case, you must follow notify and the course instructor and follow the instructions posted here.
Things to consider when selecting a WISE course
  • What are the starting and ending dates of the course?
  • Does the course end after Pitt’s graduation date? If so, and you are graduating, please e-mail​ to make sure you file for graduation for the correct semester, thus avoiding being charged a late fee.
  • Is the course synchronous or asynchronous?
  • Is there an on-campus residency requirement?
Course Offerings

To view the current course offerings, please log-in to the School’s Intranet.


Cross registration is a program through the Pittsburgh Council on Higher Education (PCHE) that provides an opportunity for enriched educational programs by permitting students to attend courses at any of ten participating colleges and universities. For more information, visit the University of Pittsburgh Registrar’s Web site.

Grade Options

Satisfactory/No Credit Grade Option

Change to Satisfactory/No Credit/Auditing Grade Option

According to the University’s Academic Regulations (view the University Catalogs here), individual schools may elect to offer a course with the following grade options:

  • LG Letter grade
  • H/S/U Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
  • S/NC Satisfactory/No-Credit (Formerly the S/N Option)
  • LG and H/S/U Letter grade and Honors/Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
  • LG and S/NC Letter grade and Satisfactory/No-Credit

With the consent of the school and instructor, students may choose to audit a course or complete it with a Satisfactory/No Credit (S/NC) option.  Regulations for S/NC credit allowances are governed by the Departments and are subject to the grade options allowed for each particular course (i.e., not all courses may be taken as S/NC). To audit a course, a student must register and pay tuition for the course. The audit grade (N) is not counted toward graduation or the GPA.

All students choose a grading option (letter grade or S/NC) during enrollment from those listed within the University’s Student enrollment system. Any decision to change the grading option after a class has been added to the student’s enrollment must be processed no later than one week after the end of the Add/Drop period.

If students would like to change their grade option that was set at the point of enrollment, they may do so by submitting a Grade Option/Audit Request​ to the SCI Records Office NO LATER THAN one week after the end of the add/drop period. The request form is submitted by SCI Records to the Registrar’s Office on behalf of the undergraduate students. Forms submitted by graduate students will be handled by SCI Records directly and shared with the student’s advisor and the course instructor.

Because choosing the S/NC grade option may have a negative impact on a student’s academic progress, all students must discuss this with their advisor before submitting the Grade Option/Audit Request form​​. For details regarding the implications of the S/NC grade option, students should defer to their academic program’s policies.

If the student does not select a grade option for a course when more than one grade option is available, the default option (generally the letter grade option) will automatically apply.​  The University’s Office of the Registrar does not require submission of a Grade Option/Audit Request form for graduate courses. However, the SCI Records Office does require this documentation for course auditing.