Quantum Computing and Communications (Assistant Professor) Position #09832
About the Position
The School of Computing and Information (SCI) is seeking to hire an Assistant Professor in the broad area of quantum computing and/or communications. SCI has three departments – Computer Science, Informatics and Networked Systems, and Information Culture and Data Stewardship. SCI is interested in candidates with expertise that fit one or more of the departments and can work with the faculty in SCI in the areas of quantum computation, quantum networks and communication, quantum simulation, emulation of quantum computing, security and quantum communications/computing, quantum information science, or the impact of quantum technologies on society.
The Pittsburgh Quantum Institute (PQI) has been established to unify and promote research in quantum science and engineering in the Pittsburgh area. Please see https://www.pqi.org/ for details about its constituent members, faculty, capabilities, and activities. SCI is looking to build expertise in computing and information to complement PQI’s work in physics, materials, chemistry, and engineering, with the goal of making leaps in quantum science for solving practical problems. SCI seeks to advance computing and information research while keeping advances in quantum science in context. SCI aims to closely engage with PQI and initiate connections with PQI in several ways.
We expect candidates to bridge the gap between standard and quantum computing and information in a variety of way, such as:
- coordinating quantum processes via standard computers
- building low-latency networks to support quantum entanglement
- developing approaches/protocols for architecting the quantum Internet
- making quantum computing accessible to others in physical sciences, social sciences, etc.
- efficient emulation of quantum computing and networking
Minimum required qualifications
- Candidates should hold a PhD in computer science, information science or some closely related area
- Candidates should hold the PhD degree by September 2021
- Candidates with the initiation of a successful research program in quantum computing or in one of the following broad areas such as data organization and data structures for quantum computing, quantum algorithms and optimization including AI/ML algorithms, distributed quantum computing, quantum error correction and fault tolerance, quantum networking and telecommunication, quantum information security, emulation of quantum computers, or societal impact of quantum technology.
- Candidates with the curiosity and interest to consider futuristic leaps in quantum science and technology and move their research in such emerging directions.
We have other openings in the tenure stream for computer science, information science, and library science. Please see https://sci.pitt.edu/recruiting for more details.
Individuals interested in these openings may apply through the application portal. A completed application includes a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching statement, a statement of commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive community, and the names and contact information for at least three recommenders.
Application review will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until positions are filled. We anticipate that individuals will begin interviewing in February 2021. For best consideration, please apply by January 15, 2021. The anticipated start date is September 1, 2021. Questions about the search and/or application status should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity, EOE, including disability/vets.