Scholarships & Awards
- Catherine Ofiesh and Gerald Orner Award: This award established by Dr. Gerald Orner in memory of his wife Catherine Ofiesh, an alumna of the former School of Information Science, recognizes students in our School who write original and innovative papers in the field of information science. Travel awards will be granted to students whose papers are accepted for presentation at the annual iConference.
- Fritz Froehlich Scholarship: The Fritz Froehlich Award is presented to a student for outstanding contributions to the graduate Telecommunications & Networking Program. Recipients are nominated by the faculty. The award is presented annually at spring graduation.
- K. Leon Montgomery Assistantship in Telecommunications: This scholarship provides support to a full-time student enrolled in the MST program. Preference is given to students who achieve academic excellence through coursework, research, international focus, and leadership.
- Scholarship for Service (SFS): For more information about the NSF CyberCorps SFS program, please visit: https://www.sfs.opm.gov/
- Commonwealth Scholars Assistantship: Each year, SCI receives Commonwealth Funds, which are earmarked to support graduate students from underrepresented groups who are U.S. citizens or U.S. immigrants/permanent residents. This program offers both tuition and stipend support, as part of this 10-15 hour/week assistantship. Commonwealth-supported students will assist with student recruiting, community-building events, and SIS’ diversity programs. If interested, please select “Commonwealth Funds” when completing the financial assistance portion of your application for admission.
- Graduate Student Assistant (GSA) / Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) [doctoral students only]: GSAs and GSRs receive remission of half or full tuition plus a stipend for a 10 or 20-hour weekly assignment in the school. GSAs may be assigned to work with one or more faculty members or to work in the iSchool at Pitt Labs. GSRs are assigned to work on research projects. Stipend rates are established by the University and are available here.
- Teaching Assistant (TA) / Teaching Fellow (TF) [doctoral students only]: TAs receive full or partial tuition remission plus a stipend for assisting faculty with their teaching and/or research. TFs receive full tuition remission plus a stipend for teaching one course under the direct supervision of a faculty member. Stipend rates are established by the University and are available here.